Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

remember that dining and discs aren't comparable

The distribution and availability of sacd's and fine dining aren't comparable. The cost of creating value for one industry isn't the same as the other and so I think your comparison is tenuous (the method of distribution, marketing, etc. are so very different). More importantly, competitor effects aren't the same either. I would agree with you that as an industry sacd's may continue as a niche player (ala' Freeman & Carroll or Baum) but the problem is for an individual firm and its likelihood of survival.

So while I agree that the format may survive in some form, it is hard to predict which labels will continue to produce. This is especially tough considering the vagaries of uncertain markets and technologies. Personally, I think sacd will die out as a format or be relegated to such a small niche as to be esoteric and unlistenable for most of us (how many Akagi sacd's do we need?). Has that stopped me from buying a rather expensive sacd player? Nope -- assuming that these poor discs survive play and storage then my small collection (roughly 60-70 discs) will still give me great listening pleasure for the next decade to come.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • remember that dining and discs aren't comparable - chris e. 00:30:51 10/02/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.