Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: My take on this...

Alex's claims that the Sony machines are inherently inferior (even after modding) to the Phillips 1000 is an interesting topic of discussion which will not be answered any time soon. Keep in mind that Alex replaces the switching power supply with a conventional one while the XB940 modded by Allen still relies upon the switching power supply (at least for the digital section, if I understand his mods correctly).

Another data point concerning this topic is that Dan Wright modifies both the Phillips 1000 and the Sony machines with very similar modification packages. I think I remember a post by him that when he applies the Absolute Truth Mods to either the Phillips 1000 or the Sony es machines, he rates the es Sony machines as sounding better. Perhaps the difference here is that Alex mods his players with a better power supply and that is why the Phillips machines modded by Alex sound more musical than what Dan can get out of his mods(after all, the power supply is in the signal path).

A fairer comparison between Allen's and Alex's modding methods will be Allens modified 9000 es with Alex's modded Phillips 1000. So, VSAC will be a more appropriate point of comparison. Perhaps the only difference will be the musicality of tubes versus the analyticality of solid state which comes down to taste more than absolute rights and wrongs.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.