Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Allen Wright & Alex Peychev

I have heard the VSE mod (Level 2, just digital decoupling) on the SCD777 against itself, againsy my own modified SCD777 (see my and jiebrink's posts), and agianst upsampled DSD on a dCS pro system.

The VSE mods sounds good and different from the 777 itself but I felt that it loses out on analysis although ut gained on soundstage and 'togtherness'. The differenece in gain makes it difficult to judge properly as I use a passive preamp.

I preferred my own modified 777 playing SACD in terms of sound quality, sound staging and fidelity when compared on equal gain against upsampled DSD on the CD layer into the dCS972/754 on 3-wire SDIF connection. However, I prefer the dCS system on double speed two wire 24/192 upsampled from two layer SACD discs and CDs.

Conclusion? It all depends on your peripherals and cabling if the system is tuned and high end. I thought I could hear the MKP3 0.47 uF
coupling cap on the VSE board as I am very familiar with the MKP sound signature and if I own the VSE mod would certainly experiment.

The SCD940 has a very noisy power supply which percolates throughout the system, and I would query the result of listening tests on this player with and without mods unless this aspect is cured.The digital output to the audio section of the board is also questionable. I found it very difficult but was able to improve the wideband output s/n by 10 dB with a commnsuate reduction in PS noise. The number of inductors that Sony stuck into this machine to keep noise down is incredible. It doesn't work though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.