Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

History repeats itself

These cracks were a big problem with 1st generation Hybrids made at the Philips optics plant in Holland. Many of my Phillips Hybrids would had cracks spreading out, many of the cracks spreading outward to affect the data area.

Because of the cracks, I had since gotten Sonopress replacements for almost all of those Philips Hybrids, as subsequent batches of many early titles were re-pressed at the Sonopress plant. I still have 3 of the Phillips hybrids (including Blues in Orbit which will never be re-pressed) and I am very delicate when handling them, in case cracks should appear. Once they do, they just spread until they reach the data area.

I rejoiced when they closed the Philips plant, but it seems they've found a way to replicate this problem in their newest high tech plant! Don't they learn from their mistakes? Years ago, I sent several messages to the Phillips people complaining about this, and offering links to discussions on this BBS discussing the problem of cracks. They acknowledged the problem and sent me some replacement Hybrids.

I have checked my Crest SACDs, and while my Amelia's SOng,Ray Brown Trio/DSOTM/Broadway Inspirational Voices hybrids don't have cracks (yet?) I see a crack forming at the spindle hole on my Bob Mintzer Gently SACD. A real pity as that is one of the most realistic sounding SACDs produced!

As if the indifference of listeners to SACD's advantages were not bad enough, this problem the last thing SACD needs. I, for one, will be very wary of buying SACDs from now. I will check every Hybrid I purchase for cracks, and I will return every cracked Hybrid I find. We should not have to pay so much for Hybrids only to have them crack up gradually and become unplayable eventually.

Being from SIngapore, I may have no way of contacting Crest directly, but those of you in the USA should.

Hopefully these are merely teething problems faced by the Crest plant. Hopefully, this propensity to crack is NOT inherent in the material or process they have chosen to make these hybrids.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.