Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Well, I just bought REM's Reveal and Neil Young's Harvest yesterday and...

I paid $17.99 and $19.99 respectively for each at Best Buy here in Miami.

I listened to each disc twice yesterday, on the SET/Horn system and all listening was with the dedicated two channel mix. I didn't see what these stereo mixes were recorded at and I couldn't find anything on the other sites, so I'm figuring 24/96, but I could be wrong.

I have Harvest on LP, but that's it for the two, so I really can't compare. I'm also at 14 DVD~As after a few months of owning a Denon 1600 DVD~A player.

Just some general impressions. Bass on both is well delineated and full and although the Cornwalls drop off rapidly at 36Hz, music with this content (upper bass) seems fairly well rendered on the discs that I own. Maybe a format trait? Mixing?

On some of the cuts on both, where Michael and Neil's voices are featured up front, the midband is quite nice and enjoyable. On Harvest, many of the vocal tracks are mixed quite deep in 3-D space, so I'm really talking about a few tracks from this album. However, I think overall, I prefer the sonics on Harvest to those on Reveal and I was initially getting some tizziness from songs in the middle of the playlist, which I didn't hear on Harvest. Mind you, Harvest has a live track and two tracks with the LSO and it's obviously an analogue master, but this DVD~A is just more engaging to me. In defense, I do enjoy the music on Reveal, so I don't think that this bias exists for me, at least relative to these two albums.

As for the treble on both, the Cornwalls don't hit much higher than 16k, but I didn't notice anything adverse on Harvest. The tizziness on Reveal didn't manifest itself on every track, so Verance doesn't seem to be the issue. Maybe just very busy tracks?

I'm going to listen to them some more, but those are just some initial thoughts on two new discs that I have. I especially like the packaging on Harvest, which mimics an LP gatefold cover very closely.

Anyway, I haven't ditched DVD~A yet and to my ears, many of the discs do excell when compared to some of the CD counterparts that I have. I'll admit that, should I be given the chance (which I'm not,) I'd prefer to buy the SACDs due to the fact that there's a lot less guessing relative to resolution. They still haven't gotten this issue corrected vis-a-vis packaging.

Good luck, Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Well, I just bought REM's Reveal and Neil Young's Harvest yesterday and... - Chris Garrett 11:25:36 11/05/02 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.