Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

MODIFIED CE775 or ES222 or ES555 for regular cd playback as well as SACD

Since SACD is slow in taking off, I was more concerned with just getting a good redbook player (I'm way more into analog anyways, but still need a good player to go with my Quad 63s and tube pre and power amps). However, after getting some of the new Stones titles (and eyeballing some Miles Davis), I'm hooked on the idea of getting an SACD capable machine, but I want decent redbook playback (rather than having to get two machines). I could buy a modded CE775 (from SACDmods.com)with new motor drive and laser, LOTS of modding: Blackgates, LC Audio clock, HEXFREDS, etc. However, would I be better off getting a 222 and having extensive mods, or a 555 and doing a little less modding (I want to keep it under $800!) Or am I barking up a wrong tree, and should I just settle for two players, one that is good at Redbook, and a cheaper SACD machine for the pitiful number of titles on that format (I mean, all I see that I want right now are the Stones, Davis, maybe Dylan, but even that is out now as a nice Mono reissue on Sundazed, and I don't see myself repurchasing my extensive vinyl collection for a new format. But the Stones catalog has intrigued me enough to want to be able to play them in SACD, very good remastering job on these.)

I'm also bummed that more rock stuff is on DVD-A than SACD. No interest in getting a DVD-A player, as the format is watermarked (!) and it looks like it's going to die anyways. I have listened to SACD, and it is the closest I have found digital to having the magic of vinyl.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - MODIFIED CE775 or ES222 or ES555 for regular cd playback as well as SACD - mark maloof 13:03:45 10/09/02 (24)

You can not post to an archived thread.