Headphone Heights

Follow-up...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

When I first tried out the K-701s I felt shocked... yet titillated. Shocked - because they seemed to demand more juice than any other standard headphone I had encountered. Titillated - because their sonic signature seemed slightly on the antiseptic side but basically neutral, and I wondered how a ballsier amp might make them sound. When I finally plugged my pair of recabled-for-balanced-mode 701s into the DNA Sonett, these early suspicions were confirmed. These cans will eat up a lot of good balanced power, reminding me of certain loudspeakers that need to be cranked up rather loudly before they sound their best. But they sound much more fulsome across the spectrum now, and their "soundstage" (headstage?) no longer seems to be confined within the limits of my cranium. Though less visceral and organic sounding than the K-1000s they replaced, the K-701 headstage actually seems wider than that produced by the earspeakers. Their sparkling tonality and transient speed makes them just right for small ensemble Jazz music. Voted (by me), "Best Headphones for Jazz Recordings".
"He was one of those men who live in poverty so that their lines of questioning may continue." - John Steinbeck

Edits: 07/01/12

Follow Ups: