Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Less crosstalk between channels...

With a true balanced drive amplifier, you completely eliminate shared conductors between channels. In this way audible channel imbalances might be eliminated and clearer, more dynamic sound with blacker backgrounds could be the result. However, some non-balanced amps might be a bit better than others in this regard. Meier-Audio (for example) uses "Active Balanced" grounding and discrete volume controls in all of their amps and it is said that this "... offers most of the advantages of a true balanced headphone setup without the need for balanced connections." However, the most important thing to achieve (as far as overall listening satisfaction is concerned) might be the "voicing" of your headphone system. For me, the first and most important things to get right are things like tonal balance and dynamics - which are the results of good amp/headphone synergy. Once you've got satisfactory voicing, balanced drive might be considered as the "frosting on the cake"...

Edits: 03/16/12 03/16/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Less crosstalk between channels... - genungo 01:43:35 03/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.