Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Agree on many points

The K-701, HD-600/650, and Grado SR-325 remain (to my ears at least) as some of the best bargains in headphones. When noise isolation is desired, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 is very listenable and is my choice in "budget hi-end" closed-back headphones. The new HiFiMan HE-400s should probably be included in the budget hi-end category as well, according to many reports.

I own recabled K-701, HD-650, and RS-1i headphones, and I consider them to be the indispensable trio for my tastes and listening habits. To my ears, each different pair has a personality that is well-tuned or suited to certain musical genres and/or types of recordings. I use K-701 mostly for jazz, HD-650 mostly for classical, and RS-1i mostly for rock and similar styles. The combined MSRP cost for all three headphones (including Cardas recabling) would be bit over $2000 - about the same amount as a single pair of *upper high-end* headphones. But, I feel that I am truly getting the most for my money this way.

Other people will disagree with the above assessments, of course. And YMMV as well. But this is where it's at, at least for me.

Edits: 01/01/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Agree on many points - genungo 08:40:12 01/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.