Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Before you spend $600 on a set of cans...

I also own the HD-280 Pro and the HD-580 and understand your assessment of these headphones. I have recently taken the plunge based on the recommendation of Tyll over and InnerFidelity and bought a pair of HiFi Man HE-400S.

These are only $299 but don't let the price fool you. These headphones might be exactly what you are looking for. They are easy to wear for long periods of time (I wear them all day long while I am working) and have better bass than some give them credit for.

These headphones will sound bass heavy when you have a bass heavy track. They are open backed and allow your head to breath. They are much easier to wear than the HD-580s or 280s and have better sound quality than the HD-580 and eat the 280s for lunch.

I have a long list of high resolution digital tracks and ran into one today that caused my whole body to vibrate from the bass energy...so the HE-400S can get down and make it shake. The midrange is totally neutral and the high end can sparkle if the track has the detail.

They are another example of planar magnetic phones but these are very easy to drive. They are 22 ohm phones with a 98db sensitivity. You can drive these with a portable...like your smart phone.

Below is the link to the review that led me to buy the HE-400S.

Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.