Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Focal Spirit Pros

I am now at over the 40 hour mark and I can tell little difference in the presentation. I had started the hard task of comparing them to my AKG K701s and the AKG K271 mk2s and this is what I hear. Please keep in mind that I am 68 and I do have hearing loss over 6khz.

I am finding the Focal Pros much darker in presentation, but the bass and lower midrange is excellent, tight, and very full bodied. It is a nicely warm presentation. That is something I would not have expected with just a 40mm driver, but it is not hyped up like the Sony 7506s are. The low end is superb.

The difference to me is the upper mids and highs where the AKGs really fill my needs with a crisper presentation, in much the same way my Grado's do as well. All of this may solely have to do with my hearing loss as those with no hearing loss might find the Grado's or my AKG 701s and 271s too bright for them. I do not.

So, it appears that choosing cans has as much or more to do with each of our levels of hearing acumen and auditioning before we buy is a must I am afraid, as it certainly is for me.

Now that I am at the 40+ hour mark I don't expect much of a change in the Focal Spirit Pros, but for those of you with near perfect hearing these just might be the ticket you are looking for at $349 for the pair. They only come with a shorter coiled cord and a short, straight cord with mic button for use with a smart-phone, but I would not use it. I do wish they came with a 3 meter straight cord and have asked Focal if they have one available. I'll wait over the holiday to hear from them.

It did take about 50 hours for both of my AKGs to sound their best, but they were even more bright until they were broken in and then calmed down after. I don't think that is happening with the Focals.

Hope this helps those of you in the market.
Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Focal Spirit Pros - jamestavegia@gmail.com 05:42:18 09/07/15 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.