Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I would be tempted to ask,

and listen for, headphones that have the same sonic characteristics I enjoy in speakers.

That is not to say that a headphone will ever sound like a speaker, but it is possible to listen for things like colorations, balance, cohesion that one favors in speaker presentations.

Since I am a devoté of small-medium-size two-way speakers, I don't find the new flagship headphones I've listened to (just a few) as favorable to my tastes and experience as the older flagships. My choices are also influenced by the fact that I have a DHT SET headphone amp and 2/3 of my speaker amplifiers lie in that category, as well.

One last thing: I don't think soundstage is a good term to use with headphone amps. What I hear is channel separation, not the various qualities of imaging that speakers can do, especially the minis. Personally, I find that some "modern" headphones have far too much channel separation to sound like actual performances of a single orchestra. It's more like listening to several marching bands strung out over a narrow city street lined with tall buildings. (I am reminded of this experience as described in Lake Wobegon).

Edits: 12/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I would be tempted to ask, - Frihed89 01:45:10 12/06/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.