Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Headphone Amp Recommendations - DIY Ok.

I have recently lost my headphone amp, a rebuilt/restored Fisher 500c.
I decided it would be of better use at the cabin. There is no way I'm going schlep that thing back and forth.

I loved the sound of the 500c driving my cans late at night when the rest of the family was asleep. The Telefunken smooth plate 12ax7's combined with the Sovtek 7591's produced a very spacious and powerful sound.

So, here I am with no headphone amp, as I do not have a headphone jack on my integrated amp, DAC, or cd player.

I would like to go tube again, but I am not dead set against solid state either as long as it can give me a sense of space that tubes do so easily. I tried a Creek OBH-11 awhile back and it didn't last a week.

My headphones are relatively easy to drive; Sennheiser Momentum (over ear), V Mode 100's, Audio Technica ATH-M50, House of Marley Exodus.

I would like to stay under $400 and am not opposed to DIY (I have soldering ability), however, I can find better things to do with my free time than soldering.

Also, it seems that I receive 30% off of Sennheiser headphones through my employee discount sooooo......I may get a pair of 650's down the road and I have been lead to believe these require quite a bit more juice.

Thanks.

Edits: 11/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Headphone Amp Recommendations - DIY Ok. - geezerrocket 07:40:36 11/25/14 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.