Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: "bad' recordings

"Bad" recording = too much dynamic compression, unnatural sound, poor signal to noise ratio, low-rez. "Good" recording = dynamics relatively intact, natural sound, good signal to noise ratio, high resolution.

I might prefer good recordings to bad ones for the most part but regardless, I'd want to listen to a few "bad" ones in order to find out if the system was resolving enough to highlight the differences between different recordings. To me, this is the test of a highly resolving system. Like you, I'd want to listen to very familiar recordings as well as recordings that were capable of revealing the limits of the systems resolving powers.

That said, one might not want a highly resolving system if one's music collection contains mostly bad recordings. If one likes the music on bad recordings a hi-resolution system won't smooth over the warts and help make those recordings more "listenable", like a more "flattering" low(er) resolution system might do. High resolution systems flatter good recordings, not bad ones. If bad recordings are what we listen to most, we might want to find ourselves a system that makes our bad recordings seem as "musical" or as listenable as possible.

Some would argue that a truly good system makes ALL recordings sound better regardless of recording quality. I don't think so. A system like that would tend to make all recordings sound the same to some degree. A system like that would be a highly colored one, masking the good in good recordings to the same degree it masks the bad in bad recordings.

Edits: 10/26/14 10/26/14 10/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "bad' recordings - genungo 00:25:16 10/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.