Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: A simple re-termination of the stock cable...

After having completely re-cabled or re-terminated all of my headphones, I am of the opinion that while different cables can affect sonics, the *improvements* are often subtle ones and might even be more on the level of "different" rather than "better"...

The best thing about expensive aftermarket cables are the better connectors terminating those cables, IMO. Better, tighter-fitting connectors help to improve signal transmission, which is the best thing that can be hoped for. Always use the highest quality connectors possible. Cable changes can be used to affect the tonal character of our systems but amplification changes are the much more effective route to take. Better to spend a few hundred dollars more on better amplification than a few hundred dollars more on aftermarket cables. That's why I would suggest simply re-terminating your existing cables with the best connectors you can find and putting any money saved into the best amplification you can afford, in order to save yourself frustration and money over the long run.

If you are looking for an amp with a sweetly extended top end and a slightly distant midrange perspective, I would recommend the DNA Sonett amplifier. I own one and I think that it might be just what you are looking for in an amp, tonally speaking. I'm not sure if the Sonett provides enough power for the LCD-2s, however.

Edits: 10/16/14 10/16/14 10/16/14 10/16/14 10/16/14 10/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A simple re-termination of the stock cable... - genungo 02:52:39 10/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.