Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Minimum gain, low output impedance...

I think there's more to it than that. First, there's the problem of dynamic range. The nature of amplifiers is such that the capability to flawlessly reproduce transient peaks without overloading necessitates more power than can be tolerated if it were applied as average input to the phones. This is evidenced by the fact that the best sounding systems always have an abundance of electrical headroom.

Second, it's been my experience that output Z isn't critical so long as the amplifier delivers sufficient power to overcome losses incurred in the matching network. To expound on this, it has never been proven to me that headphones benefit from an amplifier's damping factor. Therefore, I use resistive networks to ensure the amplifier sees a proper load. The same network can be designed to deliver the appropriate power to the phones from an amplifier that on the surface seems much larger than necessary.

Finally, I have never heard a solid state amplifier I could tolerate with headphones for more than half an hour or so. Even the best of them wear me down. This means - to my ears - only tube amps are suitable for this use.

I currently use a low power (4.5W/ch), Class A pentode amp for both speakers and phones. Each channel has a two-resistor matching network driving the headphone jack. This system produces an extremely articulate and lifelike listening experience, and it's superior to all but a tiny fraction of the $5,000+ systems I've heard in my life. To do this with low-end phones and a handful of amplifier parts truly amazes me. It's yet another reason I now work only with tubes. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Minimum gain, low output impedance... - Triode_Kingdom 09:41:58 08/13/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.