Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Depends on the phones...

Which headphones are you using? My Grados are 32 ohm, and they work very well directly from my DIY amplifier. The amp was designed primarily to drive speakers, with only four amplifier tubes (2X EF86/6V6) and about 4.5 output each channel. The headphone jack is driven from the 8 Ohm transformer output, padded down with four resistors. The headphone output was pretty much an afterthought when I was designing the amplifier, just to have additional functionality until I could put together a dedicated amp. However, there appears to be a very high level of synergy with the Grados. Sound quality is extremely detailed and transparent, so much so that I've nearly abandoned my earlier thoughts about having a dedicated headphone amplifier. My point is that if you are using lower Z phones, say 150 ohms or less, you might consider buying a small SET amplifier and putting together an interface for the phones. That really opens up a lot of possibilities when you're looking for a high-quality, all-tube amplifier.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Depends on the phones... - Triode_Kingdom 07:20:55 08/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.