Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Agree with the closed back can recommendation

Closed back phones tend to be lower impedance (for any given power requirement) and therefore easier to drive (when the amp is a small portable amp).

I can highly recommend Fostex TH-900s. 'Spensive but wonderful (break in required so if you demo, check that it has had some breakin time). Not fatiguing at all (in terms of sound). Somewhat heavy (you know you are wearing them) but I have not found anything I would rather have (and have demoed extensively with my dealer's blessing - and he has basically everything out there).

I use an iPhone with a Seagate Wireless Plus drive. I have the ADL X1 DAC/amp which will take the digital out of an ipod or iphone, has a great ESS DAC chip, and will drive most low impedance cans well enough. Battery life is decent, not stellar, but 4-5hrs should be fine. I have an external battery (10000 mAh) for the 15hr flights. The electronics all fits into a small-ish flattish bag/case (like a portable filo-fax size case) - i.e. smaller (and lighter) than a hardback novel (though the cans are larger).

FWIW, I can also highly recommend the new Sony player, or another player and the new SONY PHA-2 DAC/amp (or both together). I don't understand why they did the looks of the DAC/amp the way they did, but it sounds really, really good. And it is competitively priced. Not sure how tough it is to get the music into the Sony player but once it is in there it really sounds good. And it is easy to use.

Edits: 07/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.