Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Discussion of Altmann Tera DAP

Yes, I also recount that the issue with my post was simply in what appeared to be quoting a banned member, in that by quoting such a member the ban would be rendered meaningless. I did not attempt to convey the words of Charles, but did wish to let the curious owners what might be happening with their favorite gadget.

All this is rather enlightening, as I have learned that forums are in actuality privately owned and that the free advertising and publicity they bring comes with a cost. That cost might have been courteous, even keeled and diplomatic behavior. Such steadfast temperament is the hallmark of serious restraint in the face of unbridled and uninformed criticism on the forums. The Catch-22 here is that it takes a renegade engineer to create such a thing as Tera, and then it would take the most calm and savy marketing department to make it an actual success. In effect, Tera would not exist without the unconventional Charles, yet could only succeed with the staid conformity of vanilla salesmen.

Owners here probably have noted other Tera conundrums; I personally find Tera an anachronistic contradiction, which is a huge part of the intrigue! Most buyers are not looking for intrigue and just want to be told what is best. Tera' s best quality is the most difficult to explain, impossible to measure, and completely unknown to mass consumers : realistic sound quality.

It is perplexing to guess who could have handled such a multitude of marketing dilemmas, and when I spoke with Charles, he fully explained that the production costs are very high and not likely to fall to prices compatible with the market. This would seem the primary contradiction to be overcome in order for Tera to financially succeed. I truly share with him the dismay at how such an achievement has been made as the Tera and then it is impossible to capitolize on its amazing sound quality. I'm unqualified to comment, but Charles remains confident that the current AK and other similar technologies will yield progressively fancier and more expensive products, but never quite touch what he has alone made in portable sound quality!

To become isolated and ostracised in the process instead of rewarded must sting. From what I could see, the personal attacks on him were quite real as well. Often his nay sayers never actually heard the Tera and never really thought of the costs of design and production. Arguing with such graffiti proved detrimental immediately.

Frankly I find it ironic that at HeadFi, arguably the premier site for audiophiles, nobody would listen. Charles' assumption that the sound quality alone could overcome its techie limitations proved false: it was hardly even heard. Listeners could not because Tera was not available, and even then listened with their eyes and wallets. Charles could hear the sound, but not the market grumbles and rumbles without creating his own noise. In the resultant melee, the sweet and true voice of Tera was lost.

m

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.