Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Plenty of people have been disappointed ...

... chasing those last few percentage points of extra resolution. Many listeners have decided that some of these so-called "Flagships" are simply not worth the extra money.

Surprise, surprise!

Most "flagship" headphones have significant - and sometimes unforgivable - flaws. Even when a pair of Flagship headphones performs superbly on the test bench, there is no guarantee that they are going to pass our own subjective listening tests. Flat frequency response and/or vanishingly low distortion figures cannot mask the types of flaws that only show up after long-term, "real-world" listening tests have had a chance to leave their indelible marks upon our brains.

In the headphone world, price-to-performance ratio often starts decreasing gradually after the $600 mark. "Value" status in headphones often begins dropping precipitously at or around the $1000 mark. Sometimes, all you get for your extra $$$ will be more exotic materials, better fit n' finish, and maybe even some bragging rights (within certain circles).

I will continue to maintain that many sub-$1000 headphones perform superbly so long as you match them up with recordings that showcase their own unique strengths. In other words, instead of spending $2000 on a single pair of headphones, I might prefer to buy three or four cheaper pairs. Each of these cheaper pairs might have it's own set of strengths (and weaknesses). But so long as I know which types of recordings to match each pair up with I can end up with an ensemble of "specialty" headphones. A group of less expensive headphones, used with discrimination, might surpass the overall capabilities of any single pair of "flagship" headphones.

Read all about it in this review (at least read the first few paragraphs of it), via the link provided below...

Edits: 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.