Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Avoid anything that sounds too bright...

Avoid headphones (or loudspeakers for that matter) that might accentuate the upper frequencies too much. Compared to smaller venues (jazz clubs, etc..,), the sheer size of symphonic halls tend to suppress the higher frequencies a bit. Headphones that image really well or seem to throw a huge soundstage might seem to be the proper choice at first, but unless they have the type of frequency response that allows symphonic music recordings to sound as if I was sitting in a good seat at the symphony hall, I don't want them. Massed strings that sound too steely, horn sections with too much bite, cymbals with too much sizzle, etc.., can make classical music sound both fatiguing and unnatural.

So, what I am listening for (in classical music headphones) is not simply a feeling of space between the instruments or performers and a feeling of distance between myself and the orchestra! The recording venue must also seem to be very large and the air within it must seem to be more dense than usual. Overly bright headphones might be OK if I am going to listen to recordings of Mariachi music made in a lively bar somewhere in Tijuana, but they would not be my first choice in headphones for classical music.

Classical chamber music might be better served by a brighter sounding headphone but even then I would not want to be continually distracted by too much high-frequency detail - unless the recording is supposed to sound that way, of course.

Many seem to prefer some of the the "dark sounding", older model headphones from Audeze or Sennheiser for classical music and I would tend to agree with them.

Edits: 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14 03/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Avoid anything that sounds too bright... - genungo 08:21:33 03/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.