Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Has anyone here been disappointed by "flagship" headphones?

Hi,

> The 701s sound more like a loudspeaker than the others,

I do rather like the 701's myself.

> Also, the HD800s are fatiguing

Yes, they do have a slight slant towards being bright. You need an amplifier with a very smooth sound if this is not to become a problem.

> and the LCD-2s are just too dark for my tastes with this amp.

Hmmm, could be taste or could be unwanted interactions. The DNA website says output Impedance is 8 Ohm. This is a bit on the high side for most modern headphones, it will suit older designsbetter.

> The HD800s sound somewhat more engaging and less fatiguing and
> the LCD-2s a little less dark (more romance in the color) on my
> SS amp.

This tome points more on incompatibility with the Amplifier, rather than the headphones themselves.

> You can't please everyone.

This is true. And with the right Amp the AKG K701 is a cracking headphone. With your tastes you should try an ESL Headphone. They do tend to have a clear loudness ceiling and bass impact is not really their strength.

But when I don't want to "rock out" on headphones I use an ESL System myself at home, for "really loud" I use modified Fostex Planars. Out of choice. I could have almost any Headphone under the sun, just need to take home from the Office... :P

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.