Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Has anyone here been disappointed by "flagship" headphones?

I've been using the HD800 & the other planar HP, the Hifiman HE 6. I don't know that
if you can say that I'm disappointed with either of these cans,but they are both "works
In progress" ( which they should'nt be for the money spent on them)

I've had the HE 6 a bit longer than the HD800 (I'd not listened to them much since
getting the 800s, but as recently as a month ago I started listening to them to make
comparisons.) The results have been pretty interesting.

Both sets of cans are using aftermarket cables & only listened to
through a HP amp (currently using a Burson Soloist)

Being slightly " obsessive / compulsive I don't think I spent much time listening to the HD800s "un-modified". After reading some comments from users in different places
I came across a reversible inner earcups mod (just type in HD800 mod on InnerFidelity)
that tames the brightness & evens out the freq. response a bit . Changing the stock cable
helps in these areas also. The HD800s are always going to be slightly bright ,but when you
even out some of the other frequencies they begin to sound pretty good.

I was kind of "taken back" when I swapped the HE 6s back in. They are a whole another
level of transparent sounding. While the HD800s might work through a players or receivers
HP jack (although probably with added "Bass" bloat & other discrepencies, so I never use
them) the HE 6s will be annemic sounding at best. While these cans may not have the soundstage depth of the HD800 the onstage sound of presence at a Classical Symphony
or Chamber performance has huge "wow" factor to them , depending on how good the recording is.

I don't think either of these cans will work that well with an Oversampling DAC (but I don't think
dynamic large scale music has much of a chance at sounding it's most transparent over sampled. It seems to me you might be changing the balance of micro instrumental contrast)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.