Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

LOD can make a positive difference

I agree with others that, where possible, you want full resolution files and not mp3. I do buy mp3 files to hear the season's pop songs. But in the main, these disappoint, IMO. YMMV.

You can certainly find a satisfying setup with headphones straight out of the iPod. But if the headphones you want, require an amp then I think you'll want to pay a bit extra for an LOD cable. This outputs a 'line out" analog signal, bypassing the iPod's audio amplifier in favor of your dedicated amp. Expect more clarity and better treatment of detail across the gamut. Perceptible difference versus gigantic improvement, but I find it worthwhile even with headphones that don't really require amplification.

Do consider if your listening environment necessitates closed headphones. Do you need to shut out noise? For me, even the TV playing in the next room makes me bonkers. So when it's on, I always go for my closed headphones. Or perhaps you need closed headphones so as not to bother your spouse? All open headphones -- and some closed models -- leak sound. In my experience, on average, women have remarkable hearing, and can be bothered by the just-noticeable sound coming from open back 'phones.

All things considered I prefer open headphones -- they just seem more natural and give an unrestricted sound. On the other hand, there have been some real advancements in closed headphones in recent years. Also a good match between headphone and amp can sometimes serve to "open up" the sound from closed headphones. You can also find headphone amps with 'crossfeed' and that can make closed 'phones feel a bit less claustrophobic.

As you may know there's another level of investment where you can buy a "certified for iPod" DAC that will accept the digital signal from your iPod. You'll also need a headphone amplifier in this case as you'll be bypassing both the iPod's DAC and Amp circuits in this case. Considering what you can get with the right headphone (right for you and right match with the iPod) I don't think this is what you're looking for, but just so you know.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • LOD can make a positive difference - flatmap 12:37:03 02/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.