Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: An introduction and some questions...

As the other responder already said, if you are using lossy mp3, even higher rez mp3 you really have no need for anything but the headphones. Further, there are several generations of iPods that actually have very good DACs and amps. I'm not an expert but the 5th generation iPod is largely considered the best. If that is the generation you have, you are actually doing pretty good. You'll not notice a lot of improvement unless you have a very good dac/amp. Do some research into your model and where it fits in the hierarchy of iPod audiophoolery.

This is a golden era of headphones. There are a lot of great options and values. My current favorite is the Beyerdynamic series. I have the DT880 32ohm. I frankly don't know the difference between the Beyerdynamic lines (TP, DT770, DT880 DT990 etc…) But they offer different impedance options which allows you to better mate them with products like iPods.

My suggestion is get iPod friendly (32 ohm) Beyerdynamic that fits your price point and don't bother with anything else, especially if you have a 5th gen iPod. The Beyerdynamics are plenty good to hold up to any situation if you choose later down the road to use them in more esoteric applications including a high rez digital and a dedicated DAC/amp. In my humble opinion, I prefer my DT880s to my Sennheiser HD600s.

Nate
You can't cheat an honest man, never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump -- W.C. Fields

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.