Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Good Stuff!

Hi Thorsten,
if I remember correctly you did some DIY Tube phono preamps a while back, Correct?

"I decided to forgo the clay nd instead use my trusty hot melt glue gun. That stuff stays fairly tacky (does not set solid but is a little rubery). It depends on the stick you choose."

Oh Ok. Thank You for the info. I will try this hot glue adhesive stuff. hopefully I can find some here in San Diego or on the net.

"This stuff is the dope if you often "hack up" things for mods (Ido that more or less for a living - it is called design, you get the first PCB, it is full of undocumented features and some stuff worked fine in the sim but stubbornly refuses to do in reality - so you start cutting traces, flying wires, adding parts etc. - Then you design a PCB and do it again,hopefully much less this time)."

I tend to do the same thing, always modding/upgrading. I have tried the design stuff and do have some simulation software. So I understand how this work great in simulations and go crazy in REAL world applications. :)

This is why I focused on the Tube/Mosfet headphone amp first. It's Class A design and so far it has responded well to the simply upgrade with the caps. This Tube/Mosfet Class A amp really drives the Fostex nicely without any hint of strain so they are a very good match. I wanted to place those Duelund Alexander caps I have in the coupling circuit but I'm tunning this amp by ear and as of right now I will wait before doing anymore to the headphone amp cause it has everything I like and was after. as you know, sometimes doing too much before listening can also go in the wrong direction sound wise as I have found out many times myself. :) I just want to get all my sources, headphone amp sound the best then hit the Fostex T50 RP's next. can't wait for the Shure 840 earpads to come in. the bass so far has become deeper and louder but defined. It is strong when it needs to be and it does depend on the recorded material.

"Applying that stuff to the baffle took it's sound when flicked by a finger nail from "boingbringnnnnnnnnnnnnnn", to a very dull "thud"... And it is very, very quick. It also seales holes, can be sculpted into diffusers and brings world peace and cures cancer (okay, I am joking for the last two)."

ok, I did that tap and heard what you were saying so I think I will do the adhesive glue on the baffles also but I will do all these mods in steps and record what I'm hearing or not hearing :)

I agree with you that the earpads and cable will make a huge improvement right of the bat without taking the headphones about.

These Fostex are really a gem for the money and by far the best headphone I have ever heard. And to just think I was seriously considering dropping over $300 for some nice headphones. So glad I didn't

Thanks for all the help and info! can wait to do more now! :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good Stuff! - Cougar 12:21:35 11/09/13 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.