Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Good Stuff!

Hi,

I decided to forgo the clay nd instead use my trusty hot melt glue gun. That stuff stays fairly tacky (does not set solid but is a little rubery). It depends on the stick you choose.

This stuff is the dope if you often "hack up" things for mods (Ido that more or less for a living - it is called design, you get the first PCB, it is full of undocumented features and some stuff worked fine in the sim but stubbornly refuses to do in reality - so you start cutting traces, flying wires, adding parts etc. - Then you design a PCB and do it again,hopefully much less this time).

It holds over sized comonents in place, secures wires jumping components/tracks (or more fun, soldered to pins of SMD IC's that have been pried up from the PCB) and can be used for strategic damping of components too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-melt_adhesive

One of my Junior Engineers (Chris - he has since moved on and is rather senior in his new place) loved gumming up everything improvised in the stuff, he was a veritable Christo of the Hot Melt Glue Gun. He left the Gun when he left and I guess he rubbed off on me... ;-)

Applying that stuff to the baffle took it's sound when flicked by a finger nail from "boingbringnnnnnnnnnnnnnn", to a very dull "thud"... And it is very, very quick. It also seales holes, can be sculpted into diffusers and brings world peace and cures cancer (okay, I am joking for the last two).

Every modder should have the stuff and know how to use it...

BTW, the T50RP strike me as prime candidates for driving balanced from common HP Chip's (targeted at 60 Ohm), with 1 Watt Thermal power handling I have reason to believe that the extra power would allow a lot of bass boost to be applied to make the bottom subjectively flat, with little drawback...

Right now I use the max Bass boost on the iFi iCan headamp (I must note I designed it and make money from it's sales, this is not an advert, I just use it myself) and this is limited at the very low end to avoid clipping the amp, damaging customers headphones and all that. That is not about making all Headphones sound like Monster Beats BTW, but about the very low stuff, many headphones freak out even with this modest amount of boost VERY LOW down...

I think more power and more boost sub 30Hz would be nice.

The modded T50RP's bass is so nimble, fast and propulsive, it makes you you want to crank it up past 11 not for bass boom, but for bass bloom... ;-)

Well, when I for the first time heard "Totally addicted to Bass" by the Puretones I thought "I totally resemble this remark"...

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.