Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: High impedance headphones from a low impedance source

I'm not sure it's just the output impedance that is making them sound dull. My 300-ohm HD800s sounded surprisingly good from the iphone4 headphone output, which had a 0.97-ohm output impedance. (Sounded good, looked ridiculous.) And the Bottlehead Crack (120-ohm output impedance) really makes them sing.

I've been listening to them lots lately, as one of my speaker amps has been on Paul Fargo's bench, frustrating him completely - playing for (almost) forever, then issuing a couple loud pops and bright flashes of light from the chassis, with no scorch signs of anything shorting, while the output remains absolutely perfect and everything measures just fine, then perfect behavior for a few hundred hours more. Nice to have cans that can be worn for hours every day for weeks on end. (A Corda Crossfeed circuit makes headphone listening so much easier.)

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: High impedance headphones from a low impedance source - Bill Way 17:29:31 11/03/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.