Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Inexpensive headphones

Not impossible at all.
I have the HD598 cans and truly enjoy them. My thoughts on cans for you are based on your liking the Grados sound and they're not a closed back can. So it seems logical to suggest an open back can. Secondly, the Grados bother your ears over time I assume from the contact to your ears? Around/Over ear cans are what I suggest based on my own similar experiences that you have stated regarding long term comfort with on-ear cans. I don't like direct pad contact on my ears.

I prefer the Sennheiser sound and comfort for the following reasons.
-Open back design kept things from reflecting around inside.
-The EAR technology puts sound stage more in front of me, similar to 2 channel speakers.
-Velour ear cushions are very comfortable for long wear sessions.
(Pleather/Leather cushions always make me sweat at the points of contact, worse yet were closed back cans with these cushions.......not a fan of tropical weather on the sides of my head when trying to relax and enjoy.)
-Well balanced sound top to bottom with my headphone amp.

The 598s are just over $200 almost everywhere but their sibling 558s are well under $200.
Never heard the HD558 but here is a comparison I found, if interested.

I've worn my HD598 for six hours on several occasions and not had another set that I could wear for more than one hour or so, and I've had many cans here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Inexpensive headphones - 430cruz 12:05:37 09/29/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.