Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

so lucky!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. These are GREAT headphones (the 7000's) requiring only a little felt lining inside the wood cup to soak up a bit of bass reverb inside the cup. I also rewired mine for balanced operation using Stefan AudioArt cable. I've had a LOT of headphones including AKG, Beyer Sony, Grado, Senn, etc. Haven't ever owned a pair of Stax, but did have a couple pairs of Koss stats way back.

I'll tell you, the only headphones I ever owned (and still do) that can hold their own against the AH-D7000's are my vintage Yamaha orthodynamics. IMO, they each do one thing just a leeetle bit better than the other ;~) The Denons have a (very small) edge in bass reproduction, while the Yammies have ( atiny bit) better mids. But at these levels, the differences are insignficant as far as I'm concerned.

Balanced is a great way to drive headphones, but IMO, this is true ONLY if you have a headphone amplifier which includes a feature similar to the 'Crossfeed' function in my Headroom Home Balanced Headphone Amp. This circuit eliminates the 'ping-pong' effect, which as someone noted, can be more intense when operating headphones in balanced mode.

My other headphone amp is a (single ended) tube unit, the well-known and fabulous sounding Melos SHA-1. So of course, I get a little nuts, because they each have their strengths. I'm keeping my eye out for a unit (new or vintage) that combines the sound of tubes with the realism of 'Crossfeed'. I might never listen to my MartinLogans again (yeah, right!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • so lucky! - nsgarch 21:57:55 05/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.