Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: WA3. nt

It is a well built 'tube' headphone amp - it sure has a typical tube tone. A bit full in the bass I think, but that will depend on tubes. It is, compared to a SS headphone amp I have, a sonic blessing. The only problem I had with the Woo3 was getting tubes that were quiet. The tubes that came with it were not so. The upgrade of the tubes to tubes recommended by Woo, at least the power tube, was essential. I tried to save a buck by trying to buy it else where. I shouldn't have wasted my time. I succeeded but with shipping and everything (excessive) I didn't save a nickle. Replacing the small tubes was a different matter. I have lots of NOS and current production tubes that I've never had a noise problem with. Not so with the Woo. Probably only meant that I needed to buy a higher grade of tube, but I did get some JJ 6922's to sound dead quiet and sonically rich. Perhaps that particular tube adds to the fullness of the bass I was hearing and warmth in mids and highs. That would be consistent with my use of it in other stuff.

In any event the Woo is a high quality product and I do not regret its purchase. I don't know how essential headphone listening is for you but if looks is not important, don't overlook that little Fournier amp. Its powered by 2 6922's (JJ's) and SS output replacing the tube of the Woo. It has the tubes sound with out emphasis (bloom) that you can get from tubes. If I didn't have the Woo it would be in my main system with my 650's and I wouldn't look back! :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: WA3. nt - Chuck Y 08:41:55 04/28/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.