Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: I need headphone help!

Subwoofers in an apartment can be problematic. For that matter, deep bass in an apartment can be problematic, too, and your Dynaudios are spec'd to have pretty good bass.

I've never used a separate headphone amp. My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, closed back, which are easily driven by a computer sound card. Some people find them to tight fitting to be comfortable, but they have excellent sound isolation--if that is desired.

I looked on the HeadRoom site, and your AT AD700 looks to be quite a good product. If you like them, keep them. Your wife might prefer something else. There's no need to have the same phones. There are quite a number of excellent phones in the $100-$150 range.

I have been looking at open back phones (better to hear telephone or door bell), and the Sennheiser HD 598 looks so pretty I am very tempted. It also measures very well.

The less expensive Sennheiser HD 518 looks to be an excellent phone in the same price range as your AT AD700, and measures very well indeed. Both those appear to be very easy to drive.

I keep saying I look at phones, because the local selection is quite limited, so I look a lot on HeadRoom. That's how I got my Senn HD 280 Pro phones (also Tom Danley here likes them), and they are wonderful, easy to listen to, and very clear, but I can see some people might think they are tight, though they loosen up a bit with use. I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 518, open back, which measures quite well.

HeadRoom also has their own line of headphone amps, and they are supposed to be pretty good.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

Edits: 04/24/12 04/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I need headphone help! - Pat D 08:29:31 04/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.