Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

New Tubes (6CA7)--now bias too high

Hello:

I have an ST-70 with Joe's restoration board and quad-cap replacements that has been serving me well for several years. I currently have an original (or old) set of Mullard EL34s and a newer set of EH EL34s, both of which function fine and are easily biased somewhere in the middle of the bias pot's rotation. Wanting to try some different tubes, I ordered a matched set of 6CA7s from Antique Electronic supply. I eagerly popped them in this evening and went through the process of setting bias; however, after several seconds the voltage reading at the "biaset" point climbs well above 2.5vdc even with the bias pot turned all the way counterclockwise. I haven't pulled the bottom cover yet to take measurements, but verified that the 15.6 ohm resistors read 1.57 ohms (within reasonable tolerance). Anyone have any recommendations? Does this seem like it could be remedied through Joe's bias expansion mod or are these tubes pulling too much current? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - New Tubes (6CA7)--now bias too high - daveap 17:15:07 02/08/16 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.