Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Rectifier Arc Bad tube or something more?

If replacing the rectifier tube solved the problem, it tends to exonerate the amplifier. However, it is always a good idea to check the internal voltages against some reference. The original Dynaco manual had a voltage chart for this purpose. Of course, I do not know if yours is original or modified, but, whatever you have, hopefully you can acquire a list of reference voltages for the different nodes.

In any case, if your internal voltages check out okay, then the amp is probably fine. New Sensor recently came out with some new 5AR4s that will hopefully live longer. If you are going to continue using the less costly current production 5AR4s like JJ or Sovtek, you can do the "diode mod," where you put a diode in series with each plate thereby setting up a voltage divider that reduces the peak inverse voltage demands on the 5AR4. Of course, this should not be necessary to do with a vintage 5AR4 and hopefully not necessary for the new 5AR4s that just came out...

Edits: 12/20/13 12/20/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.