Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I feel like I should know this.

Hi Peter,

I really don't know if it is totally the TC's or just limiting bandwidths to get other bandwidths more pronounced.

The only thing I do know about it is that when you add loads of capacitance to the stages after the choke you create other issues to the sound. That is why when someone says after they do a power supply mod the bass is great and the highs are outstanding, usually it's because they compromised other areas of the bandwith. A good friend and a very qualified tech told me it was the TC's that was inadvertently affected. Maybe another audio hobbyist or tech would call it something different. I know I heard this myself whenever I did a mod using loads of capacitance after the choke. Depending on the type and amount of capacitance used would determine the type of sound I was hearing.

The rectifier, unless it was changed to SS(which lots of them were changed to) usually had 20UF but going to 40UF max was OK but that was the limit before the rectifier went into explosion. Better quality rectifiers could handle a bit more but that's all. SS there was no limit but the turn on was hard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.