Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I feel like I should know this.

You could use a SS rectifier without a delay circuit if you have caps that can handle the voltage increase or you can use a delay circuit or an inrush limiter but as the voltage comes up it will be higher with SS rectification than with tube by about 40-50 VDC so you still have to make sure the caps can handle the extra voltage.

I happen to like SS rectification in some amp circuits. Most PP amps like the Dynaco stuff is to my liking. I feel tube rectification was used to keep the voltage down but it having a cap right on the rectifier really defeated the purpose.

I also felt the amp sounded better with a 40UF cap on the rectifier then a 100R resistor right off the rectifier with a 40UF cap putting the output tranny B+ right there then the choke with a 40UF cap then leave the rest of the power supply circuit as it was. The amp sounded more lively with an extra stage of decoupling with the output tranny B+ wires before the choke. But that's only my opinion. I got the idea from a good friend and I figured it can't hurt to try it. The circuit then becomes C/R/C/L/C/R/C/R/C power supply. With a SS rectifier you could probably eliminate the choke and cap totally by adding more capacitance on the rectifier(80UF or a little more).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.