Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "all bias resistors"

You don't go into details, but you do say "all bias resistors", so I'm going to assume your ST-35 has been modified to employ individual fixed bias to the output tubes. The stock ST35 uses one resistor, in a cathode bias scheme.

You've rechecked your connections, which is good. Have you cleaned your tube sockets, and checked the contacts for mechanical security? Since it's taking five to ten minutes to red plate, the contacts could be expanding as the amp heats up.

I'd follow Xaudiomanx's advice regarding checking those resistor values. Lift one leg out of the circuit prior to measuring them.

Lastly, if the assumption of your amp having individual fixed bias is correct, strongly consider converting it to Dave Gillespie's EFB circuit. For a few dollars in parts, you will get better measured performance, and subjectively better sound than standard fixed bias, and longer tube life than standard cathode bias.

Good luck with your great amp!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "all bias resistors" - 1973shovel 05:11:09 07/05/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.