Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dynaco 400 amplifier problems,

NOTE that I only bypassed the AUDIO section of PC-29: the filters and the two-transistor stage that serves to raise the input impedance of the Stereo 400. If you do this, the Stereo 400 will no longer be usable with the Dynaco PAS preamps; its input impedance will be too low.

I disconnected the twisted-pair wiring at eyelets 19, 20 and 22 of PC-29 to eyelets 1 and 2 of each PC-28; and ran an extra twisted pair, one signal and one ground, from the input jacks way down on the heatsink, to eyelets 1 (signal) and 2 (ground) of each PC-28.

You could also run that extra twisted pair from eyelets 21, 23 (signal) and 22 (ground) of PC-29 to the corresponding eyelets on each PC-28. Much shorter wiring and easier to do.

This change duplicates the operation of the bypass switch on the Stereo 416, in its bypass position. It leaves Dynaguard in operation; since Dynaguard is out of circuit until actually triggered, disconnecting Dynaguard is not worth the effort if it's working properly. Leaving the inputs connected at PC-29 will provide Dynaguard with a signal to work with.

You still need to fix the protection and relay driver circuits on PC-29, so this is not an easy way around diagnosing and fixing the Q105, Q106 problem.. . unless you want to bypass the relay and depend on fuses to protect your speakers (Dynaco did that on the Stereo 410). I don't recommend it because fuses depend on excess current to blow, and by then your speakers could be fried.

GP49

Edits: 02/23/12 02/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.