Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: 2ch?

I have both the Discovery box set and the Oh By The Way set; I can compare if you want to know -- I think OBTW was kind of a "collectors art piece" more than even trying to say it was remastering -- the LP replicas and all. Discovery is definitely remasters, of course, just redbook 44.1/16.

I do also have the DSOTM Immersion set, just got it a few days ago. I've been listening to the Blu-Ray 24/96 on my Oppo and I think it's quite good... (Since I work with the SA Center though, I'm biased a bit towards the SACD :) - No hard feelings in this forum though; I take Hi-Rez where I can get it, and advocate it too; I'm certainly pro DVD-A.)

What I don't understand is why both 448 and 640kbps versions of the lossy mixes were put on to the DVD. What's the point of that? I have to look at it closer but as far as I know it's just DD 5.1 codec... Why even include the 448? "Here's an OK quality version and, just in case you wanna hear it really crappy, go to this track."

I'm guessing it's something to do with system compatibility... and probably will have a 'duh moment' shortly after posting this.

Edits: 10/01/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.