Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: R.E.M. (Or maybe other WMG?) DVD-As: Layer separation / degradation problem

I have not noticed this on my DVD-As. But I will check my older Warners ones later today JIC. I have never even seen anyone discuss "DVD-A rot" specifically, though "DVD rot" is well-known so it's not really surprising DVD-A rot (or whatever...a gradual shift to unplayability) should be out there.

But there is another vaguely similar, and possibly related, topic going around the web relatively recently. It has to do with mostly *dual layer* HD-DVDs. The Warner ones, and almost exclusively theirs, are developing severe playback problems now. [HD-DVDs aren't that old, but the format is a helluva lot more "dead" than DVD-A market-wise, if there are levels of deadness, but I bet more people are out there regularly playing more HD-DVDs than DVD-As. HD-DVDs for the most part are very good, and cost peanuts after WB bailed.]

Though the media are different, they are (perhaps obviously) *much* more technically similar than DVD and BD are (why HD-DVD was preferred over BD by some companies: existing manufacturing capability) and they *may* use some similar manufacturing technology in both of them that is the problem. For instance, Universal had lots of issues with the glue they used to join dual-sided discs together (since allegedly improved for current hybrids...a few years will show). Not glue in these DVD-As, but I'm just saying there could be some technology these WB discs share that is causing them to prematurely get effed...and you may want to check out those HD-DVD threads (lots in Germany, but English) to see what they're saying now as I haven't kept up on it for a couple weeks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.