Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: I'm a little disappointed to be honest

After reading this thread it wet my appetite for yet another version of Moving Pictures. Playing the Mobile Fidelity version over the years made me wonder if a new remaster could sound better. It does. This double disc set contains a very clear and detailed CD version. Where the Mobile Fidelity sounds tame in comparison. I like the new one better in all ways. Some of you shy away from the dose of compression but in all reality it is not over the top. The waveform shots show that the loudest amplitudes may be cut off and the bulk of the music has limited dynamic range taking into consideration this is a rock album. The sound of the new disc overall is more lively and in a good way. Plus it is not as compressed as most current remasters these days.

I don't know what it was about early Mobile Fidelity CDs, since they didn't add much compression, for the lame sounds of Supertramp's Crime of The Century is a prime example of underutilized compression. Funny how that album from MFSL on vinyl is supreme but the cd is a waste.

Edits: 05/17/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.