Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: I'm a little disappointed to be honest

Do you have a graph that compares the new CD included with the DVD-A? I don't prefer the sound of the CD that much myself, was a bit disappointed actually. The sound is not bad but sounds restricted compared to the BD (stereo or surround). Somehow I thought the CD and BD stereo mixes would be very similar, except for bit format of course. The difference I heard is not explained just by that, there is more going on, so perhaps the new CD is more compressed too.

Rush mentioned they recorded the BD at lower volume (than typical movies etc.) so they could get more dynamic range. I say nonsense, this BD is recorded like 10dB louder than a typical movie/TV BD is these days (15-20dB louder than WB lol) based on my regular listening level setting for DTS-HD MA (caught me quite off guard). There is still plenty of room for dynamic range, and I actually think Rush did this fairly right level-wise, it's the movie studios who sometimes record at ridiculously low levels and don't even nearly use the available DR.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.