Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

How many DVD-A have bad Mastering?

I have noticed a few things because I love being able to pull the multichannel streams out with programs like DVD-A Explorer.

Some inconsistencys:

I have Diana Krall The look of love DVD-A
I've heard some people say bad things about this album but I think its mastering is very good!!
I ripped the streams from track 1 S'Wonderful Both 2channel 96khz, and 5.1 96kHz

What I noticed The Stereo master was handled very carefully. Absolutely no Maximizing (compression to clipping). Great sound over all great extended highs. ETC Great example of modern recording.

Now I don't have a Surround playback system but its fun to play with the Tracks and listen to the 5.1 channels.

5.1 what I noticed A bit of Maximizing on the front L&R channels I think even on the Center.

The surrounds where mixed much cooler.

Why would they be so careful with the stereo then crush the surround mix??

Other bad things.

Not horrible but I have Steely Dan Gaucho Redbook, and DVD-A

No maximizing on redbook CD. Tons on the DVD-Audio. I think it mostly effects the percussion Transients but!!! doesn't that defeat the purpose of using a High definition format???

Same thing with The who Tommy Maximizing of tracks WHY!!!! I can deal with normalizing and a little compression limiting but a lot of limiting is not cool! No song should have a symmetric uniform amplitude level, these DVD-A's are all falling victim to the RED Book Loudness War.

Also Tommy was inherently bandwidth limited from source tape looking at with FFT not much above 10kHz but no filter until after 40kHz as far as I can tell.

Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin. Lots more Maximizing. Intentional digital clipping and low fi distortion in some parts but one thing that really pissed me off is some of the tracks are Brick Wall filtered at 20kHz looks like 100dB per octave. What the Fuck I thought the Point of DVD a was to make sure the filters are moved out further from the Audible range to help limit HF phase shifting.

Anyhow I'm new to this board am a huge supporter of Hi Resolution Audio but am a little Annoyed with some of the Same old digital Mastering (MASHING) Practices making it to the DVD-A world. Shame on the engineers.....

I want the talking heads box set know where I can get???

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - How many DVD-A have bad Mastering? - antoneb 01:05:28 03/25/10 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.