Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: But what about the difference between lossy and lossless

<< How you can say that DVD-Audio is pointless escapes me...Give me my 24/96, or even 24/48 any day of the week >>

What in the world are you talking about?

DVD-Video *does* offer 96/24 in stereo. And you can even still fit reasonable quality full-motion video on top of that, if you want to make a concert DVD. (The video on the aforementioned Chesky discs was worse than it could have been simply due to poor authoring.)

And as far as 48/24, it's found in lots of places with very high quality full-motion video -- haven't you ever heard of "James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theater"?

The real reason that DVD-Audio was so stupid was because by the time it was launched there were already 20,000,000 DVD-Video players installed in peoples houses. If the record companies had gotten behind a format that would actually play in the players that people already owned, they might have actually sold some discs. Then they might have actually made some money. Then they might have even made some more discs and made even more money.

But instead, they *stupidly* decided to create a new format that required new hardware. And this new hardware had absolutely *no* benefit to the normal person. So the entire DVD-A thing was doomed from the beginning (as was the SACD thing).

There have been many special audiophile formats over the years that *have* succeeded -- direct-to-disk LP's, half-speed mastered LP's, gold-plated CD's, et cetera. But all of the *specialty niche* formats that also require new hardware have failed miserably. This is not rocket science, and I can't believe that the members of the DVD consortium could be so stupid -- but they were.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.