Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DVD V vs A

Your SACD player is most likely a DVD-Video player only so it defaults to the Dolby Digital and DTS menu. Your DVD-Audio player is probably set to default to Audio which in that case on this particular disc there is no option but DVD-Audio Surround so that is what it plays. If for a particular reason you would want to listen to the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks go to the menu set up and select video.

However, Dolby Digital and DTS on most discs are of a much lower quality (using a sampling rate less than typical CDs) I don't know why you would want to listen to them. I say "on most discss" because there are 24 bit 96 kHz DTS Audio tracks that can pass on a digital connection if your player and receiver/processor can handle that signal which most new units can but older units (4+ years maybe) cannot.

DVD-Audio and SACD are only passable through analog connections. There are a couple of receiver/universal player combinations from Pioneer and Denon (and possibly others) that have a proprietary digital connection (Denon D-Link) that allow hi rez audio transfer.

The only Hi Rez audio I have heard of via HDMI is for the newer HD-DVD or BluRay for Dolby Plus and DTS new high rez version but so far that is the audio for movie soundtracks and very few at that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • DVD V vs A - mwheelerk 21:09:44 02/15/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.