Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD-A setup?

The player will be set at the factory to Multichannel, Audio preferred.
If using with a stereo setup you will need to change this setting to Stereo, and tell the player to ignore multichannel altogether.
The AUDIO setting should be left alone, otherwise the player will ignore the Audio_TS.IFO file.
A small LCD screen, as Kal points out, is invaluable. This is because most discs are set to go to a menu, and not autoplay the music and not all discs are authored the same way, so unless you know how to tell your player to go to the desired group with the stereo mix, odds are high it will default to multichannel.
Again, with stereo/multichannel in the High Rez section, there are 3 ways to go about this at authoring:
1 - PGC Blocks. This embeds a dedicated stereo mix in with the multichannel mix and playback is hardware dependant unless a specific link into each stream has been provided.
2 - Separate groups for each mix
3 - One group, multichannel mix with downmix set (This is the worst approach to use IMHO)

Another good reason to get a small, dedicated screen is for updating firmware, changing default behaviour when setting up systems (I run here with Denon machines, and often experiment with various settings in the Pure Direct modes, as well as altering the Bass Management from the default) - Trouble is there is so much variation in authoring from disc to disc, depending on the clients wishes.
DVD-A is very versatile, and this can be a weakness as well as a strength. Having said all this, I was running the 3910 without any form of screen for some time, and did not really have any difficulty. It just made life awkward in certain circumstances is all.

With your budget - and in general for the moment, avoid all Blu Ray & HD DVD players as there will be yet another new generation soon with the new DTS decoder chips installed giving you lossless & High Resolution DTS - High Resolution will be at up to double the current bitrate, and lossless is just that. Right now, no HD DVD player can use these streams (unsupported) but they will be mandatory in HD DVD, yet optional in Blu Ray.
With Blu Ray, none of the current set top players can play the latest BDi discs either. That requires a PS3.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.