Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Tortured rationalization

Frank, I suggest you spend a few hours with a patent lawyer so that you don't make silly statements. It may make you understand the difference between a licensable technology (which HDCD is) vs an implementation of that technology (ie., a "product").

"HDCD" is not a product. A CD encoded with HDCD is, an HDCD encoder is, and the PMD-100 is product that is a digital filter that implements HDCD decoding.

The "HDCD" that you license from Microsoft is not a product. When you license HDCD, you are essentially buying the right to develop or use an implementation of the technology for use in your product and put the HDCD logo on it.

Like I said, I've been through the whole process of applying for and being granted a patent. I think I have some idea of what I'm talking about.

When Microsoft bought HDCD, what they bought was the patent. They did not buy the PMD-100, or the encoder, or even existing licenses (which is why they have to issue new ones).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.