Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Majority of the masses DON'T own D/A converters and will get 24/96 2 channel high resolution PCM from the analog out

"What is wrong with using the 2 channel analog outputs from your player?"

Nothing, but you've got to wonder what that is going to sound like on a $50 player from a Japanese company nobody has ever heard of.

"I was unaware any companies were blocking undowncoverted 96kHz 2 channel output from the Digital Outs, is this a new development within the last few years?"

The opposite in fact. From the start 96/24 was blocked, only a few Pioneer players flouted that rule. I don't actually think it was down to a lack of hardware support, but copy protection paranoia. I once asked a Pioneer rep at CES how they were getting away with it, he didn't know but said they'd continue until the DVD Forum complained.

Allowing 96/24 out of the box digitally is a recent thing in terms of wider manufacturer support, it seems to have become more popular since DVD-Audio came along (even in players without DVD-A support). I don't think 6.144Mbps IEC-958 is actually within spec if a manufacturer sticks to hard and fast DVD requirements, it's a bit like Dolby Digital at 640kbs on DVD, it's not strictly within spec but some machines will play it (mostly Sony, ironically) and all decoders will handle it.

"It is not good to hear that some manufactures are blocking 96kHz DVD-Video from the Digital outputs."

Can't argue with that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Majority of the masses DON'T own D/A converters and will get 24/96 2 channel high resolution PCM from the analog out - JamesB 11:35:12 01/01/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.