Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: both Porcupine tree DVD-Audio's offer high resolution for the masses.

>>So, by your logic, DTS 96/24 is "playable" even though all you get on most DVD players is 48kHz? Sure, look at it that way, but in that case whether or not it sounds "better" than 448kbs Dolby Digital is really open to question, some 300+ kbs gets thrown away on data the legacy decoder ignores and everyone knows DTS is extremely poor at lower data rates. High resolution for the masses it is not.<<

My logic??? You're the one running around in circles. You're attempting to argue with me over how bad DTS can sound, yet in another post you make the blanket statement that "the masses" think Dolby Digital sounds just fine. By that standard, DTS is a major leap in sound quality. Especially since DTS 96/24 on a regular 48K DTS decoder is over twice the bit rate of Dolby Digital, even with 300+kbs thrown in the bit bucket.

So what exactly is your point? Do you even have one?

>>You're absolutely sure about that? See if you can do the maths to work out how much space "DVD-Audio 96kHz 24 Bit Multi-Channel 5.1, DTS 96kHz 24 Bit Multi-Channel 5.1 Surround and DVD-Video 96kHz 24 Bit 2 Channel Stereo" will take up. I'll give you a clue, the Zappa disc is 50 minutes long.<<

Yes, quite sure. 50 minutes of downmix-capable 5.1 MLP at 96/24 would be about 2.988 GB. The LPCM would be about 1.811 GB, for a total of about 4.8 GB. So, we've already exceeded the capacity of a DualDisc, and we haven't even put the DTS on it yet! We could cheat and squeeze the rear channels down to 20 bits, but there still wouldn't be sufficient room on a DualDisc for the DTS.

So, thanks for the clue, but it really looks as though you're the individual in this discussion who is in need of one.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.