Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Another thing Christine . . .

*** Hey, have you seen the film "Lost In Translation", about this poor western chap all by himself in Japan? ***

Yeah, i quite like the movie. It was amusing. But a colleague of mine who has recently returned from fifteen years in Japan says it's not like that in reality. Maybe he was just lucky. Then again, maybe I just made him up, just like the other friend!

*** a UK contact of mine tells me one of the biggest problems his people face, is that their company's technical engineering wizards in Tokyo don't speak a single word of English. ***

That hasn't been my experience with Denon, Pioneer, Sony or Panasonic. Their command of English is not perfect, but it's completely understandable, and they can read English just fine. At one stage I was tracking a distortion problem on my Denon amp, and the local distributor put me in contact with an engineer in Japan and we were exchanging emails. He had no problems understanding my emails and was very helpful in trying to replicate the problem. In the end, it turned out to be because i've connected more than one device to the line outputs - on the Denon, they all share a common bus, so any issues with one component will affect all components.

Similarly with the other companies, I've had no issues dealing with Japan, on voice or over email. A lot of design work now happens in the US, UK and Australia for many Japanese companies. I've read service bulletins from Sony and Panasonic, and they are written in perfect English because the Japanese employ English-speaking people to write this stuff (note - these are not necessarily Westerners - plenty of Japanese speak good English)

Same thing with the Panasonic manual. It seems to me it's written in grammatical English, and provides minimal, accurate information. That's why your statement is racist - there is absolutely no truth in it, you just like saying it because it makes you feel better, and it gives you an excuse for not accepting what the manual is saying in plain and simple English.

*** So they end up not bothering waiting for an answer from their colleagues in Tokyo ***

I could make a racist comment here about British arrogance and apathy, but I won't :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Another thing Christine . . . - Christine Tham 18:23:42 10/09/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.